Extended Day Policies and Procedures
The Bullis Extended Day Program provides students in kindergarten through 8th grade a safe and enjoyable learning environment where they can complete homework assignments, have a snack, play, and participate in a variety of enrichment programs in a supervised setting at the end of the school day. Please familiarize yourself with our new offerings as well as our policies and procedures.
2023-2024 Extended Day Program Options:
Bullis’ Enrichment Programs allow students to participate in various clubs, athletics, and group activities run primarily by high-quality third-party providers. Most enrichment activities will be offered once a week for an eight-week session from 3:30- 4:30 p.m.* Advanced registration is required. Lower School students will be brought to After Care at the end of the school day and will then be escorted to their activity at 3:30 p.m. Middle School students should meet on the Lower and Middle School playground (or in the Lower and Middle School Library in inclement weather) and will be escorted to their activity from there. Students should be picked up promptly at 4:30 p.m. on the Lower School Playground (Lower and Middle School Library in inclement weather). Students needing additional care after 4:30 p.m. on the day of their activity may join After Care for no additional fee. Winter Enrichment Programs will begin on Monday, January 8, 2024. Registration will open on Wednesday, November 8, 2023.
*Exceptions include MS Rock Band (4:00- 5:00 p.m. once a week).
Bullis’ After Care program allows students to engage in outdoor play on the Lower School playground, have a snack, work on homework independently, and do arts and crafts projects. After Care will be available Monday- Friday, *3:15 - 6:00 p.m. Families should sign up in advance to reserve their child’s spot. The cost with advance registration is $20 per student per day. No reduction in fees will occur for an early pick-up. Any students that do not sign up in advance will pay the “drop-in” rate of $30 per student per day. Families receiving financial aid should contact the Business Office for more information.
Location: Lower School Playground and The Marriott Family Library
Late Pick-Up Charge: Pick up for After Care is at 6:00 p.m. Any late pick-ups will be subject to a charge of $2.00 per minute after 6:00 p.m. Parents must call the Extended Day cell phone number at 301-467-7396 if they are running late.
Bullis’ Homework Lab program provides a quiet space for students to complete homework assignments independently. Snacks will be provided. Homework Lab will be available Monday- Thursday, * 3:30- 4:15 p.m. for $5 per student per day. Families should sign up in advance to reserve their child’s spot. Students attending Homework Lab are expected to be picked up at 4:15 p.m. from Classroom B in the Marriott Family Library or late fees will be assessed.
Lower School Tutoring (Will take place during Homework Lab on Wednesday): Bullis’ Lower School Tutoring program offers additional support to individual students outside the regular school day. These sessions are designed to help your child gain confidence and better understand core class subjects in relation to their current classroom curriculum. The tutoring sessions will be led by our outstanding Upper School Bullis students. Teachers will provide Tutors with work or games created for your child's educational needs. This work will only be reviewed for comprehension. Lower School Tutoring will be available on Wednesdays starting in October, * 3:30- 4:15 p.m. for $5 per student per day. Families should sign up in advance to reserve their child’s spot. Students attending Lower School Tutoring are expected to be picked up at 4:15 p.m. from Classroom B in the Marriott Family Library or late fees will be assessed.
Location: The Marriott Family Library
Late Pick-Up Charge: Pick up for Homework Lab is at 4:15 p.m. Any late pickups will be subject to a charge of $15 per additional hour up to 6:00 p.m. and $2.00 per minute after 6:00 p.m. Parents must call the Extended Day cell phone number at 301-467-7396 if they are running late.
Private Music Lesson Program
Students participating in private music lessons must either be picked up immediately after class by a parent or they will be escorted to After Care. Students will not need to pay the After Care fee on the day of their lesson. If a student must make up a lesson on a different day or if they attend an additional lesson and it has been arranged with the Lesson Coordinator in advance, they also will not be charged. If a student needs to attend After Care on a day they do not have a music lesson, they will need to pre-register or will be subject to drop-in fees. Music students should not pre-register for After Care on days they have private music lessons. The Lesson Coordinator and Extended Day staff will communicate to properly document Extended Day attendance
Policies and Procedures:
- The Extended Day cell phone number is 301-467-7396. This number is the best way to get in touch with extended day proctors. Please save it on your phone.
- To ensure adequate supervision for all Lower and Middle School students after dismissal from the academic school day, any students not picked up within 15 minutes will be escorted by a staff member to After Care and will be charged the drop-in rate of $30 per student per day.
- Pick-Up Policy: To ensure your child’s safety, parents and caretakers are asked to park and come to the lower school playground to check out their child with an extended day staff member. Students may also be inside in the Marriott Family Library, particularly in inclement weather, and parents should come inside the Marriott Family Library (Lower School classroom) to pick up their student if we are not on the playground. If you are unsure of where to pick up your child, please call the Extended Day cell phone at 301-467-7396.
- Refunds: Registering for After Care in advance holds your child’s spot for the specific day or days chosen. If you no longer need care on a day you registered for in advance, refunds will not be provided. Refunds will also not be provided for missed days of enrichment activities and make-up days will not be available when a student is absent from a club.
- *Fall and Winter Date Exceptions: Currently, the following days are known exceptions to this schedule due to holidays and professional days.
- Monday, September 4, 2023 (School Holiday)
- Monday, September 25, 2023 (School Holiday)
- Thursday, October 19 – Friday, October 20, 2023 (School Holiday)
- Monday, October 30, 2023 (School Holiday)
- Monday, November 20 – Friday, November 24, 2023 (No School)
- Monday, December 18, 2023 – Tuesday, January 2, 2024 (No School)
- Monday, January 15, 2024 (No School)
- Thursday, February 8, 2024 – Friday, February 9, 2024 (Lower School - No School)
- Monday, February 19, 2024 (No School)